Friday, June 13, 2008

Revisited: Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

Black on Both Sides album coverImage via WikipediaThe other day I was chatting to OKsoundsgood about his Elvis argument and subsequent post on N.E.R.D. and my mind instantly went over to Mos Def's Black Jack Johnson project that never really became all I hoped it would be, and this made me think of Mos Def in general and how Black On Both Sides was THE JAM and how I hadn't listened to it in ages. Right after that a friend of ours mentioned that she was just revisiting "Climb" and I instantly realized all arrows were pointing due MOS. So I am now spending the next few days with this album in heavy rotation. From the first notes of Fear Not Of Men, I instantly slipped into the instant-classic goodness of this album and was a bit surprised to find that I remembered the lyrics to so many of the tracks considering I probably haven't listened to this in, at least, five years. This album is killer from start to end, not merely as a hip hop album but as a spanning the genre solidly good, hitting on all the emotions CLASSIQUE. Come on and take a boogie down memory lane with me.

Here's Umi Says to get you started

Zemanta Pixie

2 comments:

Chickenscratches said...

can i just say that

1 ace to ace has slowly crept up to being in my top 3 visited blogs.

2 black on both sides WAS the jam! (psst: i bet you didn't know ms fat booty was about me)

3 why did we never talk of the awesomeness that is roisin murphy when we lived together?!

-love

Camille Acey said...

excellent! tell your friends about us! ;)

black on both sides is STILL the jam!

definitely go see roisin if you get the chance.