Monday, July 21, 2008

Gilles Peterson(GP) rundown -07/17/08


Photo credit

If you don't know by now that we here love Gilles Peterson, think of him highly as not only a wicked selekta, but also musical historian and look to him for the next, then....errr, now ya know. Week in and week out, he breaks some heat from all around the world on his BBC Radio 1 show (which you can stream here from when its posted on Thursday for one week) and we want to kind of recognize that by reviewing our highlights of each weekly show here.

Man what a good show. Here are some of my faves from this week, you should be able to click the artist name for more info:

Jam - Quiet Fire (Viktor)
The first thing that jumped out at me (after obviously that Jay Electronica and Nas) was a jam from (I think) some of the dudes from Soil and Pimp Sessions called Quiet Fire, that was total jazzy piano insanity, really great track.

Sahib Shihab – ‘Om Mani Padme Hum’ (Schema)
Great remaster of a great jazz master(OKSG, what do you think about what he said about "remastering the right way?")

Jamie Lidell
– Little Bit Of Feel Good (Senor Coconut remix) (Warp)
Jamie(new album out now) is a total wild man live from what i've seen and heard and I can't wait to see the spectacle. "A Little Bit of Feel Good" is a mighty fine jam already, but thanks to Senor Coconut for kicking it up even a few more notches. Gotta find that one.

Busta Rhymes – ‘I Got Bass’ (Universal)
For some reason Busta Rhymes did NOT have a folder on my hard drives of music, but recently he got one. He earned it. I've liked everything new that I've heard in the last few months. I aint gonna call it a comeback.

J Davey – ‘Just Because’ Ft. Phonte (Interdependent Media)
Wow, J-Davey (album out now)! It took a while for this group to grow on me, but yo I gotta bow down and big em up. And I never thought I'd say this, but I gotta big up LA. There is a LOT of dope shit coming from there from Georgianne Muldrow to Blu to Madlib, that city is kinda on fire. Props to Phonte for vox on this, too.

Spacek – ‘Sexy Curvatia’ (Island)
I only knew Spacek from one track with Dilla, but I had no idea. This is a real sexy and kinda dark track. Out there, I love it. This band no longer exists, but I am gonna have to go digging into their back catalogue soon.

Q-tip – ‘Getting up’ (Test)
Wow! This is one of those things we've been waaaaiiiting for. I'm with Gilles. Is this album ever gonna come out? Something came across my desk last year that made it seem certain. But NO, nothing. Dude Q-Tip, just go Radiohead on this. We need this album.

0 comments: