Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tawiah

"It’s a conversation I have with a lot of people ’cos a lot of people say that if a white person does soul music then its like 'yeah, oh my God, it’s so soulful'. But if a black person does soul music, it’s just like 'ummm, okay'. But for me, I try not to think about the politics, or have hang ups about being black and having a soulful voice. I just try to write honest music and let it do as much as it can do. I am just doing my thing, man.’ For now – before too long, it’ll be everybody’s thing." - Tawiah


For some reason I was asleep on British soul singer Tawiah, despite the fact that she was endorsed by the venerable Gilles Peterson, was collabo'ing with the likes of Mark Ronson and Wale, and holding it down as an important part of the current East London soul scene. I just didn't bother to check her. Frankly I was a little turned off by her overly wacky fashion sense. But by some pleasant stroke I ended up downloading her bpm presents session on the Brownswood Podcast feed and I am quite enjoying it and her and looking forward to more. Big ups to Ghanaian girls making it happen!



Tawiah - Broken Heart

Zemanta Pixie

2 comments:

Chickenscratches said...

hmmmm, looks quite familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUEs1BwVXGA&feature=related

Camille Acey said...

Well it's a pretty common British motif, rails and all

Here's Bronski Beat's take...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-q1WRaKNg