Thursday, December 24, 2009

Camille's Top of 2009



Well OKSG got us started with a hefty list of tracks I need to get my hands on, so now I step up to the mic. There is of course a tiny bit of overlap but not as much as I would have expected. Unlike OKSG, I wasn't SO thrilled about the output this year, my list of jams this year was very single-heavy and there were fewer full albums or even individual tracks that straight up wowed me. That said there was still enough good stuff to keep my playlist growing. So without further ado...


My Favorite Albums of the Year
(in no particular order)

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
This album dominated the first half of the year for me. My first exposure to Animal Collective. A stunner of an album.

Daniel Merriweather - Love and War
The other Merriweather of the ear. I'd been eagerly awaiting this Mark Ronson-produced album since 2006, and though it took a minute to grow on me. I soon found my faves and kept it in heavy rotation

Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Another album that got played to death this year. Mos goes super hard on this with the beats, with the lyrics, with the carefully picked collabos (Georgia Anne, Slick Rick). Work of a master. Don't sleep.

Elan Mehler - The After Suite
Brownswood keeps on supporting great new jazz. Elan Mehler and crew make great Lounge Lizards-reminiscent jazz and keep the craft alive. Looking forward to more from this cat.

Shafiq Hussein - In A Free Ka
While the Sa-Ra album had a couple powerful joints, it didn't hit all the high notes that Shafiq's solo record did. I guess he was holding stuff back? I dunno, but In A Free Ka has some serious perennial jams.


My Favorite Single Tracks of the Year


Joker - Digidesign
Joker melted my face off many times this year. BAAAAASSS!

DJ 2000F - You Don't Know What Love Is?
The B-side to Digidesign, more music to bump in your fictional drop-top with hydraulics. Turn the stereo UP!

Sound Species ft. Ahu (aka Dolly) - Can We Call It Love?

What's with this crew? Was this track a one-off? the world wants MORE!

SA-RA - The Bone Song
This music is so smooth it needs to be sponsored by Nivea. I live for this track.

Major Lazer - Jump Up (Laza Remix)
If Major Lazer is in the room it is a sweaty, scandalous, bootywinding, "I-hope-I don't-run-into-you-in- the-elevator-the-day-after-the-company-Christmas-party" kinda affair.

Simian Mobile Disco ft. Beth Ditto - Cruel Intentions (Joker Remix)

From the moment I heard the Sonar Mix I was on the hunt for this track. When it finally dropped onto the nets, I was voracious! So hot!

Chauffeur - Soles of Fire
Not to under-Ronsonify things. I have been very much all over this Sam Sparro, Theophilus London, Mark Ronson collabo. More to come in 2010....we hopes



Little Dragon - After the Rain (GB Remix)
It's a shame the Little Dragon album didn't live up to the hype that this track (the first of theirs I'd ever heard) built up in me. But anyway this record is hard hitting and full of emotion. A true original. Cop it!

Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo
Chuuuuunage! Joy Orbison humbly did the thing this year. On a recent GP episode he seemed really reluctant to say if any full-length album was forthcoming, but we all ask and hope we shall receive in the new year.

Hudson Mohawke -Gluetooth & Overnight
An end of the year entry, I just got on to this crew via our boy (and purveyor of best HK night-clubbage) DJ Kid Fresh. I will definitely be kicking down some hard-earned coins to these guys. Hard-hitting jammage!


Favorite Mixtapes/Mixes of the Year


Joker at Sonar
Heat of the decade? Probably so!

Lil Wayne - No Ceilings
Solidly solid mixtape full of some heavy hitting jams and the best flow in the business. The master has only begun. The only direction is UP for Weezy.

Most Anticipated for 2010

Erykah Badu - New Amerykah, Part II: Return of the Ankh
Jose James - BLACKMAGIC
new Tough Alliance album ?
new Chauffeur album?
new M.I.A. album?

1 comments:

marian said...

excellent choices honey, Mos def is genius!
happy holidays hun
xx
marian